Military Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Congressman Zinke may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please complete the form below. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
2016 U.S. Service Academy Nomination Application Checklist
All required items must be received in my Helena office by November 1st, 2016. Incomplete applications will not be considered for nomination. NOTE: For delivery verification, you may wish to request a return receipt from the Post Office and/or delivery receipt on email.
- Completed application form found at https://zinke.house.gov/services/military-academy-nominations (complete, print, sign & return)
- Signed cover letter outlining your interest in receiving a service academy nomination and your leadership qualities.
- Resume with the following headings: Non-athletic Activities, Athletic Activities, Awards & Honors, and Employment History (include leadership positions in each category).
- Official copy of high school transcripts, including courses currently in progress, GPA through at least your junior year and your class rank and size.
- Official copy of college transcripts (if applicable), include current course schedule
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from teachers, coaches, community leaders, clergy or members of the military (active, guard, reserve or retired). Only three letters may be submitted. Letters in excess of three will not be considered and will be deleted from the package. NOTE: These letters are the chief cause for delays in completing an application. Start this process early to ensure they are completed in time to meet the November 1st, 2016 deadline.
- Official documentation of SAT and ACT test scores. Carefully consider the dates you are taking the tests; if you wait until September, your scores may NOT arrive on time to meet the deadline. (Screenshots are okay)
- MILITARY DEPENDENTS living outside of Montana must provide the military parent’s current rank and duty information and proof of Montana Residency (Home of Record, Tax information, Voter Registration, or etc.)
~ Remember, it is in your best interest to apply for a nomination from both Senator Tester and Senator Daines’ offices as well as the Office of the Vice President. NOTE: Each office has its own application procedure; be sure to verify what is required and deadline.
Deadline for applications is November 1st, 2016
Academy Nomination Coordinator
Office of United States Congressman Zinke
910 N. Last Chance Gulch
Helena, MT 59601
Email applications to: email@example.com
For QUESTIONS contact Zack at (406)502-1435